Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lahal: A Close Look at the Bone Game

Lahal: A Close Look at the Bone Game is a charming low-key brief documentary by Matthew Lulua about a popular northwest Indian game, also known as the stick game. Accounts of Indians playing the stick game and gambling for high stakes are common in the literature of the encounter, and archeology has revealed stick game pieces thousands of years old. And yet I have to admit that I never quite understood how the game is played until I watched this film. I don't know much about the film or its maker--let me know if you do!

5 comments:

Bill Youngs said...

Good video -- shows how much can be done to tell a story of a culture with a hand-held video camera and a good sense of editing and use of voice-over narrative. Also in this film the culture speaks for itself as opposed to the stereotyping by photographers about 100 years ago, as indicated in your post above for November 21, 2009.

Anonymous said...

Yes this was made by my nephew (Matthew Lulua), was there when he made it, so proud of him

Larry Cebula said...

You should be proud, it is a fine film and a positive representation of your culture. Has Matthew made any other films? What does he do? I'd love to have him in one of my graduate classes at EWU.

Anonymous said...

hello, this is my son. i am so proud of him. LARRY, can u email with with what it is u want him to do?? he would to. he has work on film this summer. ritalulua@hotmail.com

Larry Cebula said...

I sent an email. I would love to talk to Matthew.